The young Charles Christofle grew up in a modest jewelery workshop in the Marais district of Paris. He took over the reins as early as 1830, and under his leadership the small business grew steadily. With the financial support of his wealthy sister (Mme. Rosine Bouilhet-Christofle) he had the means to realize his plans, but the real breakthrough came in 1842, when Charles obtained an exclusive patent license for the electroplating process from the brothers Elkington from England. Since then, the Christofle name has been synonymous with a long history of the very best that France has to offer. In the 19th century, the firm received orders from heads of state such as Napoleon III, the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and the Emperor of Mexico. All pieces presented on this page date roughly from the first 100 years of Christofle's existence, from 1930-1935, the year in which the company changed its name from Christofle & Cie to Orfevrerie Christofle.